General Assistance

What information do I need?

On the day you apply for General Assistance, you will be asked to complete some forms. To expedite the process, you are advised to bring the following items with you if applicable:

  1. Identification (California Drivers License or California Identification Card)
  2. Social Security Card or verification that you have applied for all household members and you
  3. Verification of rent and utilities
  4. Statements of bank accounts and any other resources
  5. Proof from US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly INS) of permanent resident alien status
  6. Verification of income, wages and Social Security Benefits
  7. A copy of vehicle registration