In-Home Supportive Services for Recipients

Find a Care Provider

The IHSS recipient is the employer of IHSS care providers. The recipient is responsible to hire, supervise, and terminate their care provider.  Recipients can generally employ anyone they chose including family members or friends as long as the provider has a legal right to work in the U.S. and a valid Social Security Number. If a recipient needs assistance to find an IHSS care provider, the recipient can contact the IHSS Public Authority Registry (831) 454-4036 for assistance.

How to Hire a Care Provider Tips

If you hire a care provider on your own, follow these tips:

  • Screen applicants through a telephone interview.
  • Meet face-to-face with those who seem to be able to meet your needs.
  • Check references.
  • When you select someone, inform those that weren't selected of your decision.
  • Contact IHSS at (831) 454-4101 to request a recipient designation of provider form (SOC 426A). If you utilized the Registry, please contact them directly at (831) 454-4036.

Hire a Care Provider

Once you have hired an IHSS provider it is very important that you:

  1. Call our office (831) 454-4101 to request a IHSS Recipient Designation of Provider form (SOC 426A) so your new provider can receive his/her time sheets. When you call please have your new provider's first and last name or provider number and your case number
  2. Complete all sections of the recipient designation of provider form (SOC 426A)
  3. Return the form to our office (IHSS P. O. Box 1320, Santa Cruz, CA 95061, ATTN: IHSS/426A)
  4. Your provider will receive his/her time sheet (s) with 10 business days
  5. Do not sign a blank time card
  6. Make sure your provider has claimed the exact number of hours worked per day on his/her time card
  7. You are also responsible for paying your share of cost, if you have one, directly to your provider in the amount indicated in the letters you receive from CDSS