Find a Care Provider
The IHSS recipient is the employer of IHSS care providers. They are responsible to hire, supervise, and terminate their care provider. If a recipient needs assistance to find an IHSS care provider, their IHSS Social Worker will refer them to the IHSS Provider Registry.
IHSS Providers must have:
- A legal right to work in the United States
- A valid Social Security Number
Can be a Family Member or Friend: If the recipient has identified a family member or friend, etc. to perform their authorized tasks, IHSS/PA begins the provider authorization process.
IHSS Independent Provider Registry and Referral: If you need help finding an independent provider, contact the Public Authority at (831) 454-4036.
How to Hire a Care Provider Tips
If you hire a care provider on your own, follow these tips:
- Screen applicants through a telephone interview.
- Meet face-to-face with those who seem to be able to meet your needs.
- Check references.
- When you select someone, inform those that weren't selected of your decision.
- Contact your Social Worker so the home care provider can be enrolled for payment. If you went through the Registry, call them too.
- If you need help with the hiring process, please let your IHSS Social Worker know.